Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Four Weeks Later...

He's here!  Benjamin James Klooster was born on December 21, 2011 at 12:49 pm.  He weighed in at a whopping 9 lb, 15 oz and was 22.5 inches long.  Four weeks ago today we were in the hospital, 10 hours into labor and getting close to thinking about pushing.  A lot has changed in the past 4 weeks and I've had several key "learnings"...
#1 - Being tall does not equal having an easy labor. "They" all said this to me, but oh so not true. 12 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing is not an easy labor in my book. Granted, many people have far worse birth stories than mine, but I wouldn't describe mine as "easy". I never thought that such a level of exhaustion was humanly possible. The end result is worth it, though.


#2 - The epidural is the greatest invention in the history of mankind.  Seriously, I do not know why anyone would not have an epidural.  They don't give out medals for having a child without one!
#3 - A bigger baby does not equal a good sleeper.  This is another thing "they" told me.  "Oh, he'll be sleeping through the night in no time."  As previously stated, they are dirty liars!  We're definitely making progress on the sleeping thing, but are seemingly no where close to sleeping through the night.  Going from 10 solid hours of sleep to 5-6 broken hours was/is quite the adjustment for this momma, but we're surviving!

#4 - Babies have to learn how to be babies just as much as parents have to learn how to be parents.  It's amazing to see how much Ben has adjusted to life outside the womb in the past four weeks.  He really is quite a good baby.  Things that used to majorly upset him like diaper changes, baths (he's still not too sure about those), the car seat, his crib, and having clothes put on and taken off no longer bother him as much.  He enjoys the swing, bouncy seat, being held, eating, being passed around...he's pretty easy going with most things.  Except naps and sleeping though the night!

#5 - We are incredibly loved!  I knew this already, but we've seen it lived out in the last month.  I haven't had to cook since he's been born and we still have a couple of meals in the freezer.  I won't have to buy clothes for this little guy until this summer - the gifts were plentiful!  We've had so many visits and well wishes from so many people.  Ben gets all kinds of affection wherever we go and that makes this momma happy and proud. 
Here are some other highlights from this past month...
Happy family of three at the hospital on Dec 21
Hmm....what should I do next..eat, sleep or poo?  I know!  How about I cry and make mom guess?!?


He likes the bouncy seat.  I think I took this picture after I turned on the vibrate feature for the first time...this is his "whoa" face.

Testing out the play gym for the first time...not too terribly interested yet, but maybe soon!

Ben was baptised on January 15.  We had close to 50 people over to our house after the service.  We are so blessed to be a part of a great extended family and church family!

This is what Ben wore at his baptism.  I think it's so stinkin' cute.  Pete said it's a giant argyle sock.

Sheesh people!  I know I'm the most adorable baby in the history of babies, but enough with the pictures!

























No comments:

Post a Comment